Nest-In is Tata Steel’s prefabricated construction solutions brand, launched in 2013. While Nest-In started with prefabricated housing as the main offering, it has launched other offerings over the course of time and today has seven offerings in the areas of industrial buildings and shelters, sanitation,portable cabins and individual housing.
Construction in India is dominated by brick and mortar or ‘RCC’ construction. Steel-based prefabricated modular construction came into India much later and even when it came, it came in two forms:
a) Pre-Engineered Buildings (PEBs) and MS Tubular Structures commonly used for factories/warehouses and similar large-span industrial buildings
b) Temporary, quick-to-construct shelters which are not durable and are removed after their purpose is served.
While these prefab solutions carried the inherent advantage of modular construction - speed, they did not lend themselves to comfortable habitation. Nest-In was launched to marry both these objectives - fast construction with comfortable living. We managed to do this by using state-of-the-art technology such as Light Gauge Steel Frame (LGSF) Technology and good design accounting for aesthetics and such factors as temperature control.
When to go for Nest-In Solutions?
In terms of customers, Nest-In solutions may be divided into two categories - Community Solutions and Individual Solutions
a) Community Solutions - Most of Nest-In’s prefab solutions today are directed towards community utilization. These range from modular toilets, smart toilets and public spaces to buildings such as rest shelters, office buildings, canteen buildings, portable site offices and other employee amenities within industrial plants, hospitals, staff quarters and hostel buildings at educational institutes and corporate complexes. Nestudio, a Nest-In sub-brand, can be used for the construction of villas and resorts.
b) Individual Utility Solutions - For individuals, Nest-In solutions can be used for the construction of houses, home extensions on rooftops and yards, villas, farmhouses, etc.
Why Nest-In should be in your consideration set?
a) Constructible in less than half the time as RCC construction
b) Comfort level and finishing are at par with RCC construction
c) One-stop, ready-to-use construction solution: Minimal water and sand usage; Low construction waste – minimal intrusion and hassle, maximum convenience for the customer
d) Easier to construct in difficult terrains and remote areas due to low weight of construction material (10% weight as compared to RCC construction) and lesser dependency on resources such as sand and water
e) Suitable for construction in seismically active and disaster-prone areas due to light weight
f) National Presence: Partner Network reaches the whole of India, so projects can be executed across states
What Nest-In Solutions are Relevant for Me?
a) Community solutions - If you are from the Government Sector or from Corporate CSR Programmes:
If you are looking for community solutions which would benefit the public at large, Nest-In’s modular construction solutions provide you with the following options:
- EzyNest: These modular toilets made of steel are designed for heavy public use, are extremely durable and are constructed easily and speedily with minimum hassle. Being lightweight and modular, there are minimal restrictions in construction - Nest-In can create both toilet blocks of 20/30 units at one place as well as set up individual units every 2 km.
- Smart EzyNest: If you are looking for an automated sanitation solution, this is one of the most advanced ones on the market. Along with being modular, durable and hassle-free to construct, these offer such features as automated cleaning for easy labour-free maintenance and good hygiene, and are also Internet-enabled to collect and transmit usage data to the clients.
- HabiNest: If you are looking for construction of any type of non-high rise buildings (upto G+3) – office buildings, schools, Anganwadi buildings, colleges, hospitals, rest shelters, accommodation – and you need it quickly, HabiNest is the solution. HabiNest buildings can be constructed in less than half the time of brick-and-mortar buildings, provide more usable space, stringent quality control and higher resistance to seismic forces
- MobiNest: These portable cabins are extremely useful due to their versatility and application as portable toilets, school and office cabins, movable hospitals, etc. In fact, Nest-In has used these to build a full-scale Covid-19 isolation facility in Kasargod, Kerala. These cabins are ready to use, hence offering maximum convenience.
The above are the major solutions that Nest-In offers for the public at large. Nest-In has worked extensively with Government bodies, having served nearly 100 urban local bodies across the country and multiple ministries. Nest-In has also completed substantial work for the CSR Programmes of major corporate institutions such as Nestle, Mercedes Benz, TCS and Hero Motocorp. Apart from these 5 solutions, Nestudio offerings may be explored for certain applications such as parking spaces and guest houses.
b) Light infrastructure - If you are from the Private Sector and considering Nest-In for employee infrastructure:
If you are looking for construction solutions for corporate amenities, Nest-In provides you with the following options:
- HabiNest: These may be used for the construction of amenities buildings – office buildings, canteens, rest shelters, hostels and accommodation, and a variety of other buildings. HabiNest buildings can be constructed in less than half the time of brick-and-mortar construction, provide more usable space, stringent quality control and higher resistance to seismic forces. Moreover, Nest-In being a one-stop solution provider, provides high convenience to its customers.
- MobiNest: These portable cabins are extremely useful at construction sites, near mines, manufacturing sites, etc. These may be used as portable toilets, site offices, shelters, etc. After their application, these are easily transported to the next site. MobiNest is ideal when you need quick and comfortable living and working spaces, especially in tough terrains.
- Nestudio: These come handy when you need a premium living space for offices/ accommodation, especially in a tougher terrain where water, sand access, etc. are difficult and when you need it quickly. These structures are extremely attractive and promise great comfort.
- EzyNest: These come in handy when you are trying to create sanitation facilities for plant employees. Given that Nest-In comes from Tata Steel, it has plenty of experience working within the restrictions of a fully functioning plant and delivering exceptional work. Nest-In believes that given its unique advantages, it has a major role to play in shaping employee infrastructure within industrial plants.
c) Individual house builder - If you are looking at Nest-In for your personal use or for building resorts:
- Nestudio: These are premium living spaces which express aesthetic beauty and comfort with their rustic exteriors and plush interiors. These modular steel cabins are most often constructed on your terrace or yard as an extended living space – a spare 1 or 2 BHK, an office room, a study, gym or hobby room. These are also used to create full one-storey villas with all facilities. Nestudio construction is minimally intrusive, using less water, and takes only about 6 weeks, enabling you to go on with your daily life without much disturbance.
- HabiNest: These may be used to create two-storey or three-storey houses in less than half the time as conventional construction. Further, these houses being much lighter, would be seismically resistant, use less resources such as water and sand and are hence suitable for construction in hilly, seismically vulnerable and tough terrain areas.
d) ChargeNest - EV Charging Stations
- ChargeNest: Every Ride Electrified
India is moving towards a sustainable electric vehicle solution to control the dangerously high vehicular pollution. Keeping this in mind, Tata Steel brings to you a unique EV charging station solution. With three variants, viz., Greeny, Diverge and Pro, our charging infrastructure acts as the foundation for a more economical, environmental, and effective electric vehicle ecosystem. The complete structure is made from Steel and FRP material and has a superior finish, look and appeal.
Comparison Study of HabiNest, Nest-In Flagship offering against RCC & MS Tubular Structures:
|Parameters||LGSF Structure (HabiNest)||MS Tubular Structure||Brick & Mortar Structure|
|Maintenance requirement of Structural Part||Low||High||Low|
|Erection Process||Manual lifting & erection possible. Lesser requirement of site workforce.||Heavy lifting equipment needed||Heavy material handling needed at the site. More requirement of onsite workforce|
|Strength Vs Weight Ratio||More||Less||Least|
|Installation Quality Assurance||Better. No welding required onsite. Factory-made components available.||Difficult to maintain site quality as direct welding might be needed at Site||More onsite work, close monitoring needed to maintain quality assurance|
|Possibility of Premium Look & Feel||Premium look & feel possible||Premium look & feel NOT possible||Premium look & feel possible|
|Seismic Resistance||High||Relatively Low||Lower than MS Structure|
|Time to Construct||One 2000 sqft. house can be constructed approximately in 2 months||One 2000 sqft. house can be constructed approximately in 3 to 4 months||One 2000 sqft. house construction generally takes 4 to 5 months|
|Foundation Requirement||Light and low depth Foundations needed||Light and low depth Foundations needed||Light and low depth Foundations needed|
|Level of Difficulty to construct in Difficult Terrain||Low||Medium||Highly Difficult|
Choose what you need – and together, we will find the right solution for you.
Finally, a summary to help the consumer:
When to adopt Nest-In?
- Speedy construction required
- Comfortable interiors with good finishing.
- Construction in disaster-prone areas
- Construction in difficult terrains and remote areas
- Project distributed over multiple locations and states
When not to adopt Nest-In?
- Cheap Solution Required
- Temporary Solution Required
- Requirement of Household Toilets